What We Do
Nicola Venture Capital seeks direct and fund investments with an emphasis on four key verticals, while diversifying across strategies, stage, and in primaries and secondaries. We look to be a long-term partner on our highest-conviction investment opportunities primarily in North America.
10 Fund commitments
What We Bring
- Long-Term Partner: As a permanent capital provider and evergreen fund operator, we are a long-term investor with the ability to provide follow-on capital to businesses through their various stages of their development.
- Robust Platform: Our complementary private equity and debt funds can support the evolving ﬁnancing needs of our early-stage venture investments.
- Entrepreneurial DNA: As a privately owned and fast-growing entrepreneurial ﬁrm, we are very familiar with speed and change, and look to help partners and founders build enduring businesses.
We understand technology is always changing. Our emphasis will be on four key verticals while also investing more broadly in venture capital.
We seek to partner with passionate teams developing innovative ﬁnancial technologies that tackle real problems affecting people and businesses globally. We are focused on supporting companies that are working to enhance ﬁnancial inclusion and to create more efficient access to ﬁnancial services. As part of Nicola Wealth, one of the largest independent wealth managers in Canada, gives us a unique lens with which to assess emerging ﬁnancial technologies and opportunities to be a value-added partner.
We strongly believe a massive opportunity exists to support the continued pace of digital adoption in the healthcare sector. We are focused on making investments in businesses that truly move the needle on patient health outcomes, either through cost reduction, improved care quality or enhanced access to care.
Historically, the education industry has operated under a talent-intensive brick & mortar business model. In the digital era, we believe there are signiﬁcant opportunities to invest in technologies that will redeﬁne how education is administered and consumed, leading to improved outcomes for students and a more productive workforce. We seek to invest alongside partners and founders that are passionate about the education industry with a track record for creating positive value.
Renewable Energy Tech
The energy transition is a clear secular trend that is creating attractive, high-growth investment opportunities that are both accretive to returns and positive for our environment. We seek operators and partners with deep industry knowledge, experience and investment track record.
- Investment amount size: $500K – $2M
- Investment thesis supported by strong industry factors and strong management teams
- Investment amount size: $3-10M
- Established and emerging managers with excellent performance track records
- Investment thesis supported by strong macro factors
- An edge in sourcing and diligence, with ability to drive unique, proprietary deal ﬂow
- Demonstratable value-add to portfolio companies
- Strong co-investment pipeline with attractive co-investment economics